Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kicking and Screaming into 21.1 Century!

I thought that I had paid attention in class, but somehow I didn't hear/understand how to set up a blog. Unlike some men, I WILL stop and ask for directions, but I may wander around a little first. So I had noticed many other features when I was setting up the blog reader in class, so I quickly found the form and it was actually pretty intuitive to work through the pages. Hardest part was finding an unused URL, so I finally settled on my own name, which usually seems to be unique. Have not thought of any consequences, unintended or not.

I did not choose the space, rather this space chose me. My daughter, Katy, had encouraged me to sign up for gmail last summer, then we set up the blog reader in ENG 625 class, so I took the default ("It's not my fault, it's 'de fault' of de computer!") i. e., I just continued with the Google service. Yes, I actually read through the "Terms of Service." Legalese always sounds scary and makes me mad. Basically, if you want any large organization's service, it's their way or the highway. The only power of us little people? To not buy, but then it's free anyway, except for the creepy ads gmail sends as the machine reads your mail over your shoulder.

Thus far, I have avoided having my name on the Internet as much as possible. Some old articles I had written for an aviation newsletter showed up on the Internet and I discovered long after the deed was done, that I had passed on some incorrect info from another source about a particular aircraft. So when I met an authority in that field, he immediately had a low opinion of me, just because of that one mistake.

So I always figured it was best to "lay low." Fly under the radar of the NSA, but here I am. Maybe now I'll be motivated to go ahead and finish the book my friends have always encouraged me to compile from eight years of monthly aviation articles (and try to sell it on the Internet for $37.95). Ha, ha!

RE: the theme--I just previewed about five, liked the format and background color, like a nice linen paper. Having too many decisions to make can paralyze a new activity but I was pleased that everything can be edited as I grow in my abilities. So I just blasted through, telling myself I can always change anything. Well, except the content that has already gone out and its consequences. Enjoy! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment